« Home | Gloomy Sunday » | Sacrifice » | Valhalla » | Work In Progress » | Hannah Rose » | Game Review: PIRATES! (NES-1991) » | Trivia #2 » | Film Review: Million Dollar Baby » | Pirate Words » | Apple Head »

Sunday, April 16

Why 'Emo' Sucks

Music

"Emo" = "Emotional".

I hate 'Emo', not the music, not even the syle. I like a lot of bands that people would consider 'Emo' and sometimes I might wear a bit of 'Emo' typed apparel if the occasion demands.

What I do hate, is the label, the existence of it as a genre. It is completely useless as it incorporates many already existing genres and it is disrespectful to the ideals music exists under. Like all art-forms, music connects with the viewer, and more importunely our feelings, whether we like or dislike the music is irrelevant to the fact that no matter what the music sounds like we will respond to it by what environment we have grown from. Like a lot of people on this site I am not genre based, I instead choose to listen to music that matches my mood. Soft happy music when I need to accentuate a feeling of joy, and hard metal when I am perhaps down. I believe that really how we feel about things, people and ourselves reflects in the music we listen to. Perhaps that is why stereotypes exist (eg: black people listening to rap, gay community listening to dance/techno) perhaps people in a gang situation would feel wanting to listen to artists who perform music that represents oppression by the government and all other aspects that reflect there own life.

In saying all that I come to my point. All music is 'Emo'. Because all Music is 'Emotional'. Now I believe that 'Emo' is a great label for style of clothing and dress because it draws a line between Goth and Punk which allows someone to be more borderline, but when it comes to classing music I find it insulting. A lot of great bands are loosing credit and being weighed down because of the negativity people place on 'Emo' and being classed as 'Emo' can have as many disadvantages as advantages. Take Coheed And Cambria for instance, one of my favourite bands at the present. Coheed are highly received in the public domain as being 'Emo' but a more musically trained person will find that they have more Progressive Rock influences. being highly experimental and drawing many influences from the great likes of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Due to the label of 'Emo' being placed on this band and others of the sort, I find that it takes credit away from the artists.

Now I am sure a lot of you will agree with me, and perhaps some wont. But this is my view and as you may be able to tell I have needed to get that out for a while. I really don't want to step on any toes here, so if you don't agree with me, tell me why, I would love to be persuaded otherwise, because its not likely 'Emo' is going to disappear and I would rather be happy with the genre.

Some 'Emo' clothing I would like:
And I know someone who would like this shirt: Chris.

posted by Ražarelie @ 7:42 pm

3 Comments:

At 3:42 pm, Blogger Ethan said...

Very good point rhys. I'm linking.

 
At 5:40 pm, Blogger Julia said...

I hate emos. I remember how they dominated everything my sophomore year of high school. They are annoying and their music sucks.

 
At 12:54 pm, Anonymous オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: New South Wales, Australia

I am the guy that everyone talks to, yet not many people know. I am usually the person who goes out of their way to make others laugh and smile. I am sacrificial by nature. I love people, because I live in the middle of no-where, and contact in a social physical manner excites me.